Wednesday, September 23, 2009

SGA Representatives Ready for Action

From a senior with a vision of stopping bottled water sales to a freshman with lots of high school government experience, the newly elected SGA representatives are getting ready to make changes for their fellow students.

President Andrew Chapin announced the results for the 2009-10 elections on Monday. Each class now has three elected members of the student body to represent their wants and needs on campus.

Seniors Chris Wentworth, Chris Shadrock, and Morgan Reilly now hold positions in the SGA. Wentworth said of his new role, "I was interested in the position because I have enjoyed my time here at LSC, and I feel SGA is a good opportunity to give back to the LSC community in my final year."

Shadrock has an interesting goal for this year. He wants to discontinue the sale of bottled water in the Hornet's Nest. He also made it clear that representatives need to be unbiased and work for the student body as a whole. "If all we have are club reps that are interested in their clubs and furthering their agendas, the general student body would be left in the dust," he said.

The junior class welcomes Jarryd Guinard, Alison Ciaramitaro, and Jeff Rusack as representatives. Rusack said, "As a representative I will voice any opinion from anyone I represent."

Sophomore representatives are Rachel Keller, Michelle Wilcox, and Tyler Kittleman. Wilcox's attitude about her new position is positive. "I have always been a big supporter of “it’s what you make of it," she said."If you think that things need to be changed then instead of complaining about it, come up with a reasonable idea and get involved."

Keller's thoughts mirrored Wilcox's. "My main goal is to increase the faith in SGA. I want to prove to students here that if they have a problem and want it addressed, that going through me or any other SGA representative/member will guarantee at least an effort to solve the problem," she said.

The freshman class has the enthusiastic new representatives Arianna Millington, Dominique Boyd, and Alex Hernandez. Millington said, "I feel that I will personally contribute an opinion from different perspectives to SGA, as I am involved in various clubs and activities."

Boyd and Hernandez both want to help their class express ideas and concerns to improve the environment in which students receive their education, and plan to work with SGA to make that happen.

Each representative plans to do their best to meet the needs of their classmates. Students with new ideas or concerns can go to their representative and ask for the SGA to consider them. SGA meetings are every other Wednesday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment